Thursday, February 24, 2011

Surrounded By Monsters: "Planet Terror"

Currently Listening To: [Surrounded By Monsters: Swayze Crazy] 


Hometown: Denton, TX
Members: 6 Piece
(John | Lee 
Mike Traci Chris Joe)
Genre: Metalcore / Grindcore


For Fans Of: Iwrestledabearonce, Fordirelifesake, Dance Club Massacre


I can't say exactly how I found this band, but I think it was while browsing Iwrestledabearonce's Myspace friends.  Such an incredible find in my opinion.  I seem to have an affinity towards metalcore bands with 4-5 song EPs.  The reason in particular that I enjoy this bands music is because of the Fordirelifesake reminiscent riffs sprinkled throughout the entire of Planet Horror.  But on top of the similar shredding, the heavy ass breakdowns will make you fall right through the floor.  I find myself just rewinding the song to hear them over again. The screamed vocal range is pretty solid, encompassing both highs and low.  My only complaint is that he can sound whiny at times and drag the words out.  He's made it abundantly clear that he is a competent vocals so he should continue to carry himself that way.  I was surprised with how strategically Traci's vocals were placed.  Considering the heavy nature of their music, Traci's vocals do a good job of changing it up and giving the listener some contrast.  The instrumental work technically complex and there is no shortage of the use of the whammy bar.  Listen to this CD at full volume and your sure to want to wreck something.  My personal favorites would have to be You Haven't Lived Until You've Banged A Carnie and Back To The Future 2 Is The Best Back To The Future, This is Not the Title, This is a Fact.  Check em' out the breakdowns keep coming.