Saturday, March 05, 2011

I See Stars: "The End Of The World Party"

Currently Listening To: [I See Stars: It Will Be Up (High School Never Ends)] 


Hometown: Warren, Michigan
Members: 6 Piece
(Brent Devin 
Zach Andrew Jimmy Jeff)
Genre: Post Hardcore / Electronic


For Fans Of: Attack Attack!, This Romantic Tragedy, & Abandon All Ships!


I found this band on Myspace my junior at the University of Michigan.  And the first time I saw them live was at the Crofoot in Pontiac.  Devin and Andrew's mom was working their merch table.  It's always a big step when a band releases its sophomore album, it can almost make or break a band and its following.  Considering some of the past 2010 sophomore releases by their peers, I See Stars is taking a step in the positive direction.  The sound they create on The End of The World Party is more developed and slightly different, but they still retain their original I See Stars sound.  The overall vibe of the album is much more poppy compared to their last.  Most listeners will be happy to know that the heavy songs are still there.  The album opens with a sample from the movie Skyline that culminates with a vocal kick in the face.  The difference between the two CD's is that 3D was a solid album start to finish, The End of The World Party has a few songs that could be better.  Each of the songs have a hook whether it be vocal or synth/keyboard based, but a couple of the songs fall short of reaching their full potential.  I listened to the album multiple times on the way from Philadelphia, PA to Farmington Hill, MI.  Aside from those couple songs this album is worth the buy.  It's got everything from dub to soaring vocals to synth breakdowns to raw screams.  The only major thing that really sticks out to me is that Devin's awesome vocal work dominates the CD so much so that Zach's powerful screams are only heard at key points during different songs.  The guy has skills and to me they are caging a beast.  I'd like to hear his vocals more often, but this may be because of my affinity for anything heavy.  Check this album out, there are good things to come from the band!